Trust Online

Certificate of satisfaction: Satisfied vs unsatisfied CCJs

CCJs are shown as either satisfied or unsatisfied on the register. Satisfied means you’ve paid – unsatisfied means you haven’t. You can correct this if it’s wrong.

Satisfying the record

Lenders look at information from the CCJ register when deciding whether to offer credit or not. Getting a mortgage with a CCJ, for instance, can be difficult.

If the register shows you’ve got a CCJ and haven’t paid it off, it’s even more difficult to get credit.

If you pay a CCJ more than a month after the judgment date, it stays on the register for six years.  There is no way to remove it.

If you've paid the CCJ in full, however, you can apply to have it shown as satisfied by showing the court your receipt.  If you can't get this type of proof, the court will write to the person who won the CCJ. 

From 6th April 2006 when the court are provided with evidence that a judgment debt has been paid in full, that court should notify us to amend the register and the register will show the entry as "satisfied".  This will show anyone searching the register that you have paid, and when you did so.


Getting a certificate of satisfaction

If you also want a certificate showing that it's been paid you can apply in writing to the court that last heard your case, for a 'Certificate of Satisfaction' enclosing:

a) evidence that the debt has been fully repaid,

b) a statement advising that reasonable steps have been taken to obtain such evidence but you have been unable to do so; or

c) a statement advising that you believe the evidence of payment is already held at the court; and the court fee of £15 (cheque payable to HMCTS)

You'll also need the claim number of the CCJ.

This only happens if you pay in full.  Part repayment of CCJ's is not recorded.

Other options

If there is a genuine problem with the CCJ, you may be able to apply for the judgment to be set aside. And if you paid a county court judgment in full within a month, it shouldn’t be on the register at all.

About the registers

Through Trust Online you can search for CCJs, high court judgments (HCJs), administration orders (AOs), child support agency (CSA) Magistrates liability orders, and fine defaults.

Geographical coverage

The register for England and Wales is split into four sections:

Trust Online keeps separate public registers for money judgments in Scotland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Jersey and Isle of Man. For more details, see the registers for judgments and fines.


Please Note: From the 3rd January 2018 the price of a search of a single register, will be £6.

To read more about why the costs are changing, please click here.

Fraudulent bailiff calls

For details click here

Understand CCJs, court orders and fines

Millions of people and businesses have records on the Trust Online registers.  Read our guide to understanding judgments and fines or check out our FAQs and help.

About Us

Registry Trust Ltd is the official Keeper of the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines in England and Wales. It collects and makes available similar information for other geographical locations ... Read More


Trust Online is part of Registry Trust Ltd, a non-profit company limited by guarantee