Trust Online

High Court judgments and the register

The Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines includes monetary judgments made in the High Court Chancery Division, the Queen’s Bench Division and the Admiralty and Commercial courts in England & Wales.

Registration of High Court judgments

Registry Trust Ltd (RTL) is contracted to the Ministry of Justice to maintain the statutory public Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines for England & Wales, one section of which includes details of High Court judgments.

Monetary judgments granted in the High Court are added to the Register upon default i.e where a judgment is without trial and no defence was entered.


  • defended cases,
  • orders for costs,
  • monetary judgments made in the county court and which have been transferred to the high court for enforcement, these are registered upon enforcement.

In the Admiralty and Commercial court, where judgment has been registered against a foreign company and/or the value is given in a foreign currency, the registration will be converted to £ sterling at the exchange rate applicable on the judgment date. 

What’s shown on the register

The information on the Register includes:

  • The name and address of the debtor,
  • The date and amount of judgment,
  • The name of the High Court Division or district registry,
  • The claim number
  • Satisfaction details once Registry Trust Ltd (RTL), which keeps the register has been notified by the court.

Judgments registered against individuals contain dates of birth where this is known and, for all judgments, the provision of postcode data is mandatory unless leave of the court is obtained.

Satisfaction or removal of High Court judgments

Details of High Court judgments remain on the Register for a statutory period of six years from the date of judgment unless set aside or reversed by the court or the amount is fully repaid within one calendar month from the date of judgment, when the court will notify RTL that the entry should be removed from the Register.

If application is made to set aside the judgment, a court fee of £255 is required (cheque/postal order payable to HMCTS). Any defendant experiencing difficulty in paying court fees should ask court staff for advice.

If a judgment is fully repaid after one calendar month from the judgment date and evidence is provided to the court who notify RTL, the entry will be marked as ‘satisfied’ on the Register where it will remain for the statutory six year period from the date of judgment.

A defendant can also apply to the court for a Certificate of Satisfaction or Cancellation, whichever is appropriate, quoting the relevant case number and enclosing the court fee of £15 (cheque/postal order payable to HMCTS). Part payment of the amount is not recorded on the Register.


If a debtor feels that details of a registration are inaccurate, application should be made to RTL providing particulars of the judgment and stipulating the required amendment.

If a recent search of the Register has not been made, the requisite search fee must be enclosed.

The query will be raised with the relevant court who will investigate and respond to RTL. Upon receipt of their response, the debtor will be advised and, if appropriate, the Register will be amended.   

What happens with the information

Details of High Court judgments, and any subsequent amendments, may be passed to credit reference agencies for inclusion in their records and may then be supplied to credit grantors and others seeking information regarding the financial standing of an individual or a company.  

Public searches of the High Court Judgment section of the Register can be made for yourself or for others.