High Court Judgments

High court judgments can be issued by a county court or The Royal Courts of Justice if you fail to repay the money you owe and the creditor has taken court action.

Monetary judgments granted in the high court are added to the Register upon default (i.e. where a judgment is without trial and no defence was entered).

The following judgments are registered upon enforcement:

  • defended cases
  • orders for costs
  • county court judgments and which have been transferred to the high court

HCJ’s are shown as either satisfied or unsatisfied on the Register. Satisfied means the judgment has been paid in full, unsatisfied means it has not. HCJ’s stay on the statutory register for six years unless set-aside/cancelled.

In the Admiralty and Commercial Court, where judgment has been registered against a foreign company and/or the value is given in a foreign currency, the registration will be converted to pounds sterling at the exchange rate applicable on the judgment date.

The information appearing on the Register is as follows:

  • the name and address of the defendant
  • details of the court and case number
  • the amount and date of registration
  • satisfaction details once Registry Trust has been notified by the court

By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.