Trust Online

Certificate of satisfaction: Satisfied vs unsatisfied CCJs

CCJs are shown as either satisfied or unsatisfied on the register. Satisfied means you’ve paid – unsatisfied means you haven’t. You can correct this if it’s wrong.

Satisfying the record

Lenders look at information from the CCJ register when deciding whether to offer credit or not. Getting a mortgage with a CCJ, for instance, can be difficult.

If the register shows you’ve got a CCJ and haven’t paid it off, it’s even more difficult to get credit.

If you pay a CCJ more than a month after the judgment date, it stays on the register for six years.  There is no way to remove it.

If you've paid the CCJ in full, however, you can apply to have it shown as satisfied by showing the court your receipt.  If you can't get this type of proof, the court will write to the person who won the CCJ. 

From 6th April 2006 when the court are provided with evidence that a judgment debt has been paid in full, that court should notify us to amend the register and the register will show the entry as "satisfied".  This will show anyone searching the register that you have paid, and when you did so.


Getting a certificate of satisfaction

If you also want a certificate showing that it's been paid you can apply in writing to the court that last heard your case, for a 'Certificate of Satisfaction' enclosing:

a) evidence that the debt has been fully repaid,

b) a statement advising that reasonable steps have been taken to obtain such evidence but you have been unable to do so; or

c) a statement advising that you believe the evidence of payment is already held at the court; and the court fee of £15 (cheque payable to HMCTS)

You'll also need the claim number of the CCJ.

This only happens if you pay in full.  Part repayment of CCJ's is not recorded.

Other options

If there is a genuine problem with the CCJ, you may be able to apply for the judgment to be set aside. And if you paid a county court judgment in full within a month, it shouldn’t be on the register at all.