Trust Online

Set aside a judgment

In a few, limited cases, you can get the judgment set aside if you have a CCJ. Don’t be taken in by companies claiming this is an easy route to removing CCJs - lying to the court is perjury(a criminal offence).

Judgment set aside

If you genuinely disagree with a CCJ, you can ask the court to ‘set it aside' for a fee.

If this happens, the CCJ is removed from the Register. This doesn’t necessarily mean the case is over – it just goes back to the start, and the creditor will have to submit the court forms again.

If you don’t have a genuine reason for wanting the case set aside, or the court thinks you are wasting its time or lying, you could face fines or even a prison sentence.

You also have to pay a fee of £255 to apply to have a judgment set aside.

Reasons to set aside

The main reason a court will set aside a judgment if there’s been a mistake, such as a default judgment when you had sent back the form asking for more time.

If you didn’t get the papers, the court will expect you to prove you’d given the creditor your new address.

Likewise, if you missed the hearing, the court will want a good reason before setting the judgment aside.

Warnings about setting aside judgments

Setting aside does not mean the case is over. It may still be heard.

CCJs stay on the Register for six years from the date of the judgment. This six year period starts again if the judgment is set aside and the creditor starts the process again – so you may end up with a CCJ on file for even longer.

Frivolous applications to set aside judgments will cost you money and are unlikely to be accepted.

Other options

Remember, if you’ve paid a county court judgment inside a month, or want a CCJ marked as satisfied, you can get the Register updated.